Difference between revisions of "OEDAM 2015"

From Openembedded.org
Jump to: navigation, search
(Attendees)
(Minutes)
 
(22 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 5: Line 5:
  
 
2315 North 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95131  
 
2315 North 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95131  
 +
 +
Google maps suggests getting off light rail at the Component Station.
 +
 +
Start at 0900 each day.
  
 
https://goo.gl/maps/1pRGR
 
https://goo.gl/maps/1pRGR
Line 23: Line 27:
 
* Ron Lockwood-Childs (speedy1) - via hangout
 
* Ron Lockwood-Childs (speedy1) - via hangout
 
* Herb Kuta
 
* Herb Kuta
 +
* Tim Orling (moto-timo)
 +
* Sean Hudson (darknighte)
 +
* Bruce Ashfield (zedd) - probably
 +
* Mark Hatle (fray)
 +
* Sona Sarmadi
 +
* Changhyeok Bae
 +
* Belén Barros Pena (belen) - via hangout
 +
* Richard Purdie (RP) - via hangout
 +
* Ken Sharp
  
 
== Agenda Items ==
 
== Agenda Items ==
  
* Progress on items identified during OEDAM 2014
+
* X Progress on items identified during OEDAM 2014
 +
* X Security processes
 +
* X Infrastructure
 +
* X Removing the oe-core and meta-oe repos on github. These repos are now called openembedded-core and meta-openembedded/
 +
* X People still use OE-classic from time to time. Should we remove the repo?
 +
* X Layer maintenance
 +
* X Demos
 +
* >>> Patch review tools, improving the patch process
 
* Development cycle
 
* Development cycle
* Removing the oe-core and meta-oe repos. These repos are now called openembedded-core and meta-openembedded/
 
* People still use OE-classic from time to time. Should we remove the repo?
 
 
* Community Development / Team Building (please add more examples/ideas...  almond flour cake is always good...)
 
* Community Development / Team Building (please add more examples/ideas...  almond flour cake is always good...)
 
** Intro / crash course events
 
** Intro / crash course events
 
** Coordinated bug day sprints
 
** Coordinated bug day sprints
 
** Other group/meetup activities
 
** Other group/meetup activities
 +
** Stack Overflow support
 +
* Tests
 +
 +
== Minutes ==
 +
 +
<blockquote>
 +
OEDAM: OpenEmbedded Developer's (American) Meeting<br>
 +
March 27-28, 2015<br>
 +
_______________________________________________________________________
 +
<br>
 +
ATTENDANCE
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
in room:
 +
<br>
 +
mark hatle
 +
<br>
 +
michael halstead
 +
<br>
 +
bill mills
 +
<br>
 +
paul eggleton
 +
<br>
 +
denys dmitryenko
 +
<br>
 +
sean hudson
 +
<br>
 +
armin kuster
 +
<br>
 +
tim orling
 +
<br>
 +
philip balister
 +
<br>
 +
sona sarmadi
 +
<br>
 +
martin jansa
 +
<br>
 +
ken sharp
 +
<br>
 +
stephen arnold
 +
<br>
 +
changhyeok bae
 +
<br>
 +
herb kuta
 +
<br>
 +
benjamin esquivel
 +
<br>
 +
grant likely
 +
<br>
 +
jefro
 +
<br>
 +
trevor woerner
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
phone:
 +
<br>
 +
richard purdie
 +
<br>
 +
belen barros pena
 +
<br>
 +
beth flanagan
 +
<br>
 +
bruce ashfield
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
(Apologies if I missed your name - jefro)
 +
<br>
 +
_______________________________________________________________________
 +
<br>
 +
AGENDA & SUMMARY
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
open issues & action items marked with =>
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
OEDAM 2014 summary
 +
<br>
 +
=>  Lava - kernel ci can use it, not required; YP QA team experimenting
 +
<br>
 +
=>  TSC role - board needs to run election, koen willing to be replaced
 +
<br>
 +
    why is embedded still hard - progress making it marginally easier
 +
<br>
 +
    layer quality - ongoing process
 +
<br>
 +
    lune - setup image replacement, spurred demo discussion
 +
<br>
 +
    next +1 - discussed
 +
<br>
 +
    local.conf from third parties -
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Security
 +
<br>
 +
    testing security patches high priority, not all in one place
 +
<br>
 +
=>  sona proposed security mailing list for monitoring, patches, policy
 +
<br>
 +
    & agreed to investigate possible CVE database
 +
<br>
 +
    owner: sona & fray
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Infrastructure
 +
<br>
 +
    github repos - obsolete repos going away June 30
 +
<br>
 +
        make it obvious github is a mirror
 +
<br>
 +
    OE-classic - keeping for historical reasons only
 +
<br>
 +
=>      read-only & rename to oe-classic? oe-obsolete?
 +
<br>
 +
=>      ok to disable pull requests from github.com?
 +
<br>
 +
    owner: crofton
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Layer maintenance
 +
<br>
 +
    build status reporting is better, incl. blacklisting bad recipes
 +
<br>
 +
    layer index is very positive, does not (yet?) report layer quality
 +
<br>
 +
    possible toaster integration in the future
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Improving demos
 +
<br>
 +
    noted SDR demo in YP booth at ELC running on different SoCs
 +
<br>
 +
    html5/luna replacement for sato desired
 +
<br>
 +
    what is good for developers vs. what makes a good demo - discussion
 +
<br>
 +
=>  bmills suggested a monthly technical meeting to work on these issues
 +
<br>
 +
=>  jefro to schedule meeting about demos: test images, sato, etc
 +
<br>
 +
    identify problem, role of sato, suitable alternatives & usage cases
 +
<br>
 +
   
 +
<br>
 +
Patch review process
 +
<br>
 +
    RP outlined patch review process
 +
<br>
 +
    some aberrations in process illustrated - need tool improvement   
 +
<br>
 +
    some resources could be put into improving patchwork
 +
<br>
 +
        to automate some processes that are currently manual
 +
<br>
 +
    paul suggests adding functionality tests
 +
<br>
 +
=>  general conclusion to focus on package managers, feeds, tools
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
=>  sources from bitbake world builds moving to new location
 +
<br>
 +
    crofton/michael will update DNS, should be invisible
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Tests
 +
<br>
 +
    autobuilder provides many testing featuers, automated qemu, ptests
 +
<br>
 +
    OE self test doesn't run on autobuilder (takes too long)
 +
<br>
 +
=>  need more resources from community
 +
<br>
 +
    test mentoring helpful
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Development cycle
 +
<br>
 +
    paul asks whether the current dev cycle works
 +
<br>
 +
    4-cycle system w/milestones (in YP) works well
 +
<br>
 +
    testing could be improved as per previous discussion
 +
<br>
 +
    some people still hold things back until last minute, RC process
 +
<br>
 +
    using smart for RPM:
 +
<br>
 +
=>  smart needs a new maintainer
 +
<br>
 +
    brief discussion about YP technical call - terse agenda & minutes
 +
<br>
 +
=>  jefro to work with sjolley to add RP's readout to minutes
 +
<br>
 +
    discussion about collecting sources for an OE source mirror
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
# packages
 +
<br>
 +
    armin asks, should there be a limit on packages in OE
 +
<br>
 +
    fray & RP suggest OE has a self-imposed feature limit, by testing
 +
<br>
 +
=>  discuss within TSC
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
documentation
 +
<br>
 +
    more technical documentation resources needed
 +
<br>
 +
=>  crofton to mention to Advisory Board
 +
<br>
 +
   
 +
<br>
 +
OE eV
 +
<br>
 +
    SPI working well
 +
<br>
 +
    changing eV structure, sean streamlining, possibly moving to US
 +
<br>
 +
    next GA & possible OEDEM after ELCE in October/Dublin
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Community Development / Team Building
 +
<br>
 +
    Intro / crash course events
 +
<br>
 +
=>      jefro to investigate materials, resources for promotion
 +
<br>
 +
    Coordinated bug day sprints
 +
<br>
 +
        note: general feeling that janitors list is misnamed
 +
<br>
 +
=>      jefro - remind stephen to add triage info to bug list
 +
<br>
 +
=>      crofton/paul - set up bug day US a.m., UK/EU afternoon
 +
<br>
 +
        separate event for Asia
 +
<br>
 +
=>      jefro - investigate webinar format
 +
<br>
 +
    website/wiki
 +
<br>
 +
        wiki cleanup needed, Jack's front page work?
 +
<br>
 +
=>      jefro - organize as board/TSC administrative issue
 +
<br>
 +
    TSC meetings
 +
<br>
 +
        communication has been very important, now missing
 +
<br>
 +
=>      organize issues & meetings every 2 months
 +
<br>
 +
    community metrics
 +
<br>
 +
=>      jefro - work with board
 +
<br>
 +
    Other group/meetup activities
 +
<br>
 +
        openhatch, internship programs like opw
 +
<br>
 +
=>      all - contribute to Stack Overflow support/discussions
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
next OEDAM concurrent with ELC in San Diego, March 2016
 +
<br>
 +
_______________________________________________________________________
 +
<br>
 +
DETAIL
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Full text minutes available at:
 +
<br>
 +
http://pastebin.com/jpAFDUCy
 +
<br>
 +
or
 +
<br>
 +
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16cueQXzrpvzhL7lzLiQxf5NZ4STYDffK0M3OLul0Fys/edit?usp=sharing
 +
<br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
Full audio recording available on request (allow time for uploading)
 +
<br>
 +
</blockquote>

Latest revision as of 14:52, 20 May 2015

Location and Time

March 27-28 (after ELC and Yocto Project Developer Day)

2315 North 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95131

Google maps suggests getting off light rail at the Component Station.

Start at 0900 each day.

https://goo.gl/maps/1pRGR

Now that people are already claiming to attend by Google Hangout, I will announce our intention to also webcast via Google Hangout ;)

Attendees

  • Philip Balister (Crofton)
  • Denys Dmytriyenko (denix)
  • Armin Kuster (Armpit)
  • Martin Jansa (JaMa) - 50%
  • Michael Halstead (halstead) - Friday only
  • Jeff Osier-Mixon (jefro)
  • Paul Eggleton (bluelightning)
  • Steve Arnold (nerdboy/mr_science)
  • Stephanie Lockwood-Childs (wormo/sjl) - via hangout
  • Ron Lockwood-Childs (speedy1) - via hangout
  • Herb Kuta
  • Tim Orling (moto-timo)
  • Sean Hudson (darknighte)
  • Bruce Ashfield (zedd) - probably
  • Mark Hatle (fray)
  • Sona Sarmadi
  • Changhyeok Bae
  • Belén Barros Pena (belen) - via hangout
  • Richard Purdie (RP) - via hangout
  • Ken Sharp

Agenda Items

  • X Progress on items identified during OEDAM 2014
  • X Security processes
  • X Infrastructure
  • X Removing the oe-core and meta-oe repos on github. These repos are now called openembedded-core and meta-openembedded/
  • X People still use OE-classic from time to time. Should we remove the repo?
  • X Layer maintenance
  • X Demos
  • >>> Patch review tools, improving the patch process
  • Development cycle
  • Community Development / Team Building (please add more examples/ideas... almond flour cake is always good...)
    • Intro / crash course events
    • Coordinated bug day sprints
    • Other group/meetup activities
    • Stack Overflow support
  • Tests

Minutes

OEDAM: OpenEmbedded Developer's (American) Meeting
March 27-28, 2015
_______________________________________________________________________
ATTENDANCE


in room:
mark hatle
michael halstead
bill mills
paul eggleton
denys dmitryenko
sean hudson
armin kuster
tim orling
philip balister
sona sarmadi
martin jansa
ken sharp
stephen arnold
changhyeok bae
herb kuta
benjamin esquivel
grant likely
jefro
trevor woerner


phone:
richard purdie
belen barros pena
beth flanagan
bruce ashfield


(Apologies if I missed your name - jefro)
_______________________________________________________________________
AGENDA & SUMMARY


open issues & action items marked with =>


OEDAM 2014 summary
=> Lava - kernel ci can use it, not required; YP QA team experimenting
=> TSC role - board needs to run election, koen willing to be replaced
why is embedded still hard - progress making it marginally easier
layer quality - ongoing process
lune - setup image replacement, spurred demo discussion
next +1 - discussed
local.conf from third parties -


Security
testing security patches high priority, not all in one place
=> sona proposed security mailing list for monitoring, patches, policy
& agreed to investigate possible CVE database
owner: sona & fray


Infrastructure
github repos - obsolete repos going away June 30
make it obvious github is a mirror
OE-classic - keeping for historical reasons only
=> read-only & rename to oe-classic? oe-obsolete?
=> ok to disable pull requests from github.com?
owner: crofton


Layer maintenance
build status reporting is better, incl. blacklisting bad recipes
layer index is very positive, does not (yet?) report layer quality
possible toaster integration in the future


Improving demos
noted SDR demo in YP booth at ELC running on different SoCs
html5/luna replacement for sato desired
what is good for developers vs. what makes a good demo - discussion
=> bmills suggested a monthly technical meeting to work on these issues
=> jefro to schedule meeting about demos: test images, sato, etc
identify problem, role of sato, suitable alternatives & usage cases


Patch review process
RP outlined patch review process
some aberrations in process illustrated - need tool improvement
some resources could be put into improving patchwork
to automate some processes that are currently manual
paul suggests adding functionality tests
=> general conclusion to focus on package managers, feeds, tools


=> sources from bitbake world builds moving to new location
crofton/michael will update DNS, should be invisible


Tests
autobuilder provides many testing featuers, automated qemu, ptests
OE self test doesn't run on autobuilder (takes too long)
=> need more resources from community
test mentoring helpful


Development cycle
paul asks whether the current dev cycle works
4-cycle system w/milestones (in YP) works well
testing could be improved as per previous discussion
some people still hold things back until last minute, RC process
using smart for RPM:
=> smart needs a new maintainer
brief discussion about YP technical call - terse agenda & minutes
=> jefro to work with sjolley to add RP's readout to minutes
discussion about collecting sources for an OE source mirror


  1. packages


armin asks, should there be a limit on packages in OE
fray & RP suggest OE has a self-imposed feature limit, by testing
=> discuss within TSC


documentation
more technical documentation resources needed
=> crofton to mention to Advisory Board


OE eV
SPI working well
changing eV structure, sean streamlining, possibly moving to US
next GA & possible OEDEM after ELCE in October/Dublin


Community Development / Team Building
Intro / crash course events
=> jefro to investigate materials, resources for promotion
Coordinated bug day sprints
note: general feeling that janitors list is misnamed
=> jefro - remind stephen to add triage info to bug list
=> crofton/paul - set up bug day US a.m., UK/EU afternoon
separate event for Asia
=> jefro - investigate webinar format
website/wiki
wiki cleanup needed, Jack's front page work?
=> jefro - organize as board/TSC administrative issue
TSC meetings
communication has been very important, now missing
=> organize issues & meetings every 2 months
community metrics
=> jefro - work with board
Other group/meetup activities
openhatch, internship programs like opw
=> all - contribute to Stack Overflow support/discussions



next OEDAM concurrent with ELC in San Diego, March 2016
_______________________________________________________________________
DETAIL


Full text minutes available at:
http://pastebin.com/jpAFDUCy
or
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16cueQXzrpvzhL7lzLiQxf5NZ4STYDffK0M3OLul0Fys/edit?usp=sharing


Full audio recording available on request (allow time for uploading)