This is a first proposal for the OE-wiki help page. Comments welcome.
This page contains rules, principles, and guide lines for using this wiki (not Openembedded itself).
- The names of articles should be optimized for readers over editors.
- Use the original, official naming from the outer world (for example, Openmoko instead of OpenMoko) with a reasonable minimum of ambiguity.
- Do not capitalize second and subsequent words unless the title is almost always capitalized in English (for example, proper names).
- In general only create page titles that are in the singular, unless that noun is always in a plural form in English.
- Avoid the use of abbreviations, including acronyms, in page naming unless the term you are naming is almost exclusively known only by its abbreviation and is widely known and used in that form.
- Page names should not begin with non-alphanumeric characters.
- Do not use an article name that suggests a hierarchy of articles.
- Style and formatting should be applied consistently within articles, though not necessarily throughout the wiki as a whole.
- Titles should be short—preferably fewer than ten words.
- Section names should preferably be unique within a page.
- For acronyms and abbreviations write out both the full version and the abbreviation at first occurrence.
- The use of abbreviations should be avoided when they would be confusing to the reader. Do not invent abbreviations or acronyms.
- Use the simplest markup to display information in a useful and comprehensible way. Markup may appear differently in different browsers. Use HTML and CSS markup sparingly and only with good reason. Minimizing markup in entries allows easier editing.
- Every page should belong to at least one category. An article's category or categories should reflect the topics and classes that are directly related to the subject. In writing an article, use the most likely categories in which the reader would look for, if they are not sure of where to find the article.