Talk:Gcc issues in Intrepid and later
Is this still an issue with OE?
I'm using 9.04 and was at least able to compile one basic image. I didn't go much further though? --Klausfpga 17:49, 9 September 2009 (UTC)
- This is definitely still an issue.
- I've tried compiling on a fresh install of latest ubuntu and got all these problems and more.
- Correct me if i'm wrong but the whole point of the combination of CVS and bitbake is that it can be kept updated so users don't spend days working on workarounds and fixes, most of which could be fixed with some updated packages or .patch's.
- I've spent the last 3 days fixing compiler errors and researching the multiple issues that have plagued the build with gcc 4.4 (the default in new ubuntu).
- Surely if it doesn't build with 4.4, the fix should not be "install and use 4.1", it should be "the fix has been committed".
- I agree that the proper solution would be "the fix has been committed". The question is who makes, tests and provides us with this patch? Most people are not being paid for what they do with OE, so I guess the only sensible answer to that question would be "those affected". Not all devs are using gcc4.4. So, basically you have three options a) downgrade gcc as suggested, b) prepare the patch yourself (or pay someone to do it), c) wait until somebody else fixes the particular package you want to compile. I would venture to guess that for the ordinary user the order of preference would be a>b>c --Laibsch 16:36, 18 January 2010 (UTC)