The OpenEmbedded Testing branch is a git branch of the OE metadata with the goal of providing a provide a recent snapshot of OE that is known to be build-able for a subset of distros, machines, images, and host workstations. The goal of this effort is twofold:
- the testing branch represents a reasonably stable version of OE that builds for most tested combinations
- for all tested combinations, we list the last known-good-build tag so that users can always start with something that will build
The test combinations are:
|machine||distro||target||workstation||tester||last successful build||Current issues|
|beagleboard||angstrom-2008.1||beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image||Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit||User:Cbrake||testing_2010-08-23|
|beagleboard||angstrom-2008.1||console-image||Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit||User:Cbrake||testing_2010-08-23|
|bug20||angstrom-2008.1||openjdk-6||Debian Unstable 64-bit||Stefan||testing_2010-08-23|
|efikamx||minimal||native-sdk-image||ubuntu 10.10(Alpha) 64-bit||User:khem||testing_2010-08-23|
|omap5912osk||minimal-uclibc||native-sdk-image||Debian Unstable 32-bit||User:khem||testing_2010-08-23|
|qemuarm||minimal||native-sdk-image||ubuntu 10.10(Alpha) 64-bit||User:khem||testing_2010-08-23|
|qemumips||minimal||native-sdk-image||ubuntu 10.10(Alpha) 64-bit||User:khem||testing_2010-08-23|
|qemuppc||minimal||native-sdk-image||ubuntu 10.10(Alpha) 64-bit||User:khem||None||fails to build sed|
|qemux86||minimal||native-sdk-image||ubuntu 10.10(Alpha) 64-bit||User:khem||None||Fails to build acpid|
|qemumipsel||minimal||x11-image||Slackware 13.1 64-bit||User:grg||testing_2010-08-23|
|qemuarm||angstrom-2010.x||x11-gpe-image||Fedora 12 32-bit||User:gthomas||testing_2010-08-23|
|beagleboard||angstrom-2010.x||beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image||Fedora 12 32-bit||User:gthomas||None||fails to build ti-dsplink|
The general process for managing the testing branch is:
- Starting on Monday of every week, the dev.openembedded.org branch is branched to the testing-testing branch.
- Whoever creates the testing-testing branch sends an email to the oe-devel list with a subject of "testing branch YYYY-MM-DD". All volunteers start a clean build and build the combinations they test, update the above chart, and report status/issues as replies to the above email.
- If most combinations build by following Monday, the testing-testing branch is merged to the testing branch. Regardless, the repository is tagged with the testing_YYYY-MM-DD tag. An annotated tag is used with a message that includes a text copy of the above table with variations that have been tested building for this cycle. The reason we tag after testing is complete is so that we can include status in the annotated tag. This way information about what was tested with each tagged version is captured in the repository.
- If a build fails, then issues are reported, and we try to get issues fixed before the next weeks testing cycle.
- Not every combination is tested on every cycle, due to availability of testers, so we list the last known built version in the above chart. Testers are responsible for updating the above chart.
We strongly encourage chip and SBC/Module vendors to become involved in this effort to ensure OE works for your platforms.