[bitbake-devel] [RFC] Do postfiles make sense?

Daniel Lazzari dlazzari at leapfrog.com
Fri Aug 12 18:01:30 UTC 2011

I actually have a decent use case for a postfile. We have several in house recipes that use an SVN repo for their SRC_URI. The URI contains a variable that points to what branch to build from. So the recipes default to pulling the head revision of trunk. It's nice to be able to have a collection of different conf files that we can post load to override the branch and revision variables without having to change the recipes themselves. So we have like a Release1.1.conf file that when post loaded builds Release 1.1 from the correct branches and revisions. We can do this with -r by using BRANCH ?= "TRUNK" in the recipes (that's how we did it in OE Classic), but when we sometimes forgot the question mark, it would end up building TRUNK no matter what was in the conf file.