[bitbake-devel] Feedback on HOB (new image creator GUI)

Joshua Lock joshua.lock at intel.com
Fri Sep 30 15:16:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 08:36 -0600, Yu, Ke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may already know, a new GUI has been added to bitbake recently,
> i.e. HOB (Human Oriented Builder).

It's not really an acronym, it's just a name - Hob.

>  It is a graphical image creator that
> allows user to freely choose which packages to be built in the image.
> The wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/Hob  has more
> detail.

I'll be fleshing this page out over the coming weeks.

> This email is to collect your feedback on the HOB. Current HOB is our
> first version, and it surely has many place to improve. We has the plan
> to enhance it in Yocto 1.2. So we really hope that you can use it and
> provide your valuable feedback . We do think user's feedback/requirement
> is the right way to go. Looking forward your valuable input.
>
> Best Regards
> Ke
>
> Ps. The simple way to run hob is:
> # touch conf/hob-pre.conf conf/hob-post.conf
> # bitbake -u hob -r conf/hob-pre.conf -R conf/hob-post.conf

In oe-core (and therefore Poky) we have a wrapper script so from an
oe-init-build-env'd build directory you can just call hob.

The script will create the required configuration files with some
required values.

Regards,
Joshua
--