[bitbake-devel] bb.utils.vercmp() not consistent with debian rules

Lu, Lianhao lianhao.lu at intel.com
Thu Apr 5 06:22:00 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

When I'm looking at the Yocto bug#2233, I find that the function bb.utils.vercmp() is not consistent with the debian packaging rules(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version).

According to debian rules, "r0" is earlier than "r0-dream", but the bb.utils.vercmp() thinks "r0" is later than "r0-dream".

A pervious patch http://cgit.openembedded.org/bitbake/commit/?id=727ce6ffe33a119cb17f7d91b173f11a055eea3c seems causing the bb.utils.vercmp to specially handle the separators of "." and "-".

Is it desired to behave differently from debian rules?

Best Regards,
-Lianhao