[bitbake-devel] bblayers.conf is required?

Jeremy Puhlman jpuhlman at mvista.com
Tue Apr 10 16:09:36 UTC 2012

On 4/9/2012 11:07 AM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> The config file conf/bblayers.conf seems to be required:
>>  $ bitbake core-image-minimal
>>  Unable to find conf/bblayers.conf
>>  BitBake must be run from within your build directory: /home/local/p60_poky
>>
>> but the bitbake documentation says otherwise:
>>                <para>BitBake will first search the current working directory
>> for an optional "conf/bblayers.conf" configuration file. This file is
>> expected to contain a BBLAYERS variable which is a space delimited list of
>> 'layer' directories. For each directory in this list, a "conf/layer.conf"
>> file will be searched for and parsed with the LAYERDIR variable being set to
>> the directory where the layer was found. The idea is these files will setup
>> BBPATH and other variables correctly for a given build directory
>> automatically for the user.</para>
>>
>> Maybe the documentation should just read "required" instead of "optional"?
>
> I think yes. Next action is a patch or bug report.

Hmmm you used to be able to run bitbake by just setting the BBPATH
variable in the environment, and not need a bblayers file. It is not the
suggested use case anymore, but looking at cooker I don't see anything
in there in the layer handling code that would preclude that use.

Also that final error message comes from the content bitbake script not
bitbake proper.

--
Jeremy Puhlman
Montavista Software, LLC.