[bitbake-devel] [OE-core] Bitbake Memory Usage

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Feb 20 14:05:00 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 23:36 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> As soon as the child starts trying to remove
> things from memory, we lose the benefits of CoW and USS and PSS rise.

Note that even leaving out the garbage collector, the cPython VM
incrementing/decrementing the refcount of objects will force the copy.

The python multiprocessing module has some classes which allow
explicitly sharing memory.  Certainly for various caches e.g. if
they're just read-only after a certain point it might make sense
to wrap them in e.g. a multiprocessing.Value.