[bitbake-devel] [OE-core] PLEASE READ: Major change landing shortly (python whitespace)

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Jul 18 11:40:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 11:17 +0100, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 11:06, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > I put a proposal to the TSC, that we have bitbake warn/error whenever it
> > finds tab characters in any python function. The advantage of this is
> > that we give the user a clear definitive error. The downside is that
> > we'll have to go through all the metadata and scrub it for the problem.
>
> Have you ran that warning over oe-core to check that there are not any
> legitimate uses of \t, not for indentation but inside strings?  I
> can't think of any realistic use but you never know (construct a
> Makefile in a python function?).

The check is for actual tab characters, not "\t". There are some
legitimate users of tab characters which I've replaced with \t in
strings.

My current patch work in progress for the conversion is:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=rpurdie/t14&id=49d3d01f3d61a0eb19b6852229fa8fc26712f653

Cheers,

Richard