[bitbake-devel] [OE-core] PLEASE READ: Major change landing shortly (python whitespace)

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:27:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 01:18:12PM +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:15:48AM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:

> > > from those 2 patches which were just merged I see that you're converting
> > > strictly python functions, can we extend this tabs->spaces rule also to
> > > bash tasks like do_install etc?
> >
> > Shell tasks should be tabs according to the style guide. Its harder to
> > check the indentation in those and if the indentation is wrong, it
> > doesn't matter since they're not whitespace sensitive.
> >
> > So whilst I'd welcome fixing them up, I don't think they need bitbake
> > enforcing policy in the same way as python functions.
>
> Agreed about not forcing the check or updating all .bb/.inc files with
> this now, but maybe style guide should be updated now?
>
> I really don't like files with mixed indentation (even when it doesn't
> hurt) especially with a lot of files not conforming to style guide now,
> using even mix of tabs/spaces on the same line..
>
> FWIW: I've prepared patch for whole meta-smartphone to unify that and
> I've sent RFC for few bbclasses in meta-oe too.

I know you've sent me link do different style guide last time I've
asked, but first google hit (for openembedded style guide):
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Styleguide

says about tabs only this:
- Use spaces for indentation as developers tends to use different amount
  of spaces per one tab.

So only in yocto wiki there are 2 more bullets after that
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Recipe_%26_Patch_Style_Guide
- Use spaces for indentation as developers tends to use different amount
  of spaces per one tab.
- Shell functions should use tabs
- Python functions should use spaces (4 spaces per indent).

And yocto style guide is not in first 5 pages of result when searching
for "openembedded style guide".

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com