[bitbake-devel] some preliminary questions about bitbake manual

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Mar 19 12:33:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Monday 19 March 2012 08:15:32 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > Yes, we acknowledge it is quite out of date. The problem with
> > > the BitBake manual is it must cover only BitBake generically,
> > > and not OE. Of course there's a lot that could be added to it,
> > > but having complete documentation there is less important than
> > > documenting OE. That's not to say we won't welcome patches
> > > though ;)
> >
> >   yes, i can see the problem.  but rather than try to be a purist
>
> The thing is, BitBake was originally separated out of OE years ago
> so that it could be kept as a fairly pure task executor. If the code
> is to remain that way then the documentation should continue to
> reflect that.

  fair enough ... i'll ponder on how i want to do this.  since i'm
writing my own tutorial, i don't need to try to restructure the
current bitbake manual -- i'll just send in patches that really
reflect fixes to the bitbake manual.

> > why not just accept that the best way to document bitbake is to do
> > it within the context of oe-core?  that's the approach i'm going
> > to take with what i'm writing.
>
> Why not just document OE then (which will include documenting those
> aspects of BitBake that are important in OE in the appropriate
> context)?

  i'm pretty sure that's the approach i'm going to use, since it's so
much easier to explain things by using examples pulled straight out of
oe-core.  i'm already designing a newbie's guide to oe-core which will
mix bitbake explanations in there.

  anyway, back to proofreading ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca