[bitbake-devel] how easy to extend "bitbake -e" to print *selected* subset of variables?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 22 20:43:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Chris Larson wrote:

> I would personally like to see something like:
>
> bitbake -E MACHINE,DISTRO,TMPDIR
>
> Rather than having to define additional 'grouping' metadata.
>
> For now, something like this might be convenient:
>
> $ cat ~/bin/bitbake-env
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # bitbake-env VARIABLE [VARIBLE...]
> #
> # Filter out particular variables from bitbake -e, including the commented out
> # unexpanded form, and both exported and unexported.
>
> args_pattern () {
>     for arg; do
>         printf "$arg|"
>     done | sed 's,|$,,'
> }
>
> bitbake -e | grep -E "^((export )?|(# )?)($(args_pattern "$@"))="

  ok, but there's still something i'm missing.  from
linux-yocto_3.4.bb, i might want to see the final value of
LINUX_VERSION, but that's not printed as part of the normal
environment, so i'm assuming i'd need to export it first, right?
because there's a lot of content i'd be interested in seeing that is
currently not printed by "bitbake -e".

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca