[bitbake-devel] how easy to extend "bitbake -e" to print *selected* subset of variables?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Nov 23 12:22:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Chris Larson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>       On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Chris Larson wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that quick script just ran bitbake -e, not bitbake -e
> > <provider>. You could modify it easily enough to support that,
> > though.
>
>   hang on ... i actually did just that to search the output of:
>
> $ bitbake -e linux-omap4
>
> but i still don't see a number of variables i'm interested in, and
> i'm not sure how to do that.
>
> What variables are you not seeing? bitbake -e shows all variables
> but ones which are flagged 'unexport' (e.g. DISTRO, MACHINE).

  hmmmm ... i think i see my problem.  working from memory, i remember
being able to examine kernel-related variables when using OE to build
a qemuarm system, so i could examine, say, KMETA with:

$ bitbake -e virtual/kernel | grep KMETA
# KMETA=meta
KMETA="meta"
	export KMETA=meta
	export KMETA=meta
	## KMETA branch validation
	export KMETA=meta
		# If KMETA is defined, the branch must exist, but a machine branch
    # if KMETA isn't set globally by a recipe using this routine, we need to
    kmeta = d.getVar( "KMETA", True ) or "meta"
$

  recently, i used OE and the meta-ti layer to build for pandaboard
but here's what happens when i tried the same thing there:

$ bitbake -e virtual/kernel | grep KMETA
$

  as in, nothing.  i guess i was just assuming i would see similar
information there, i obviously need to look at the meta-ti kernel
recipes more closely.  or should i still be able to see that variable?
it seems like a fairly critical part of the kernel configuration
phase.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca