[bitbake-devel] how easy to extend "bitbake -e" to print *selected* subset of variables?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Nov 23 20:49:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

> > What variables are you not seeing? bitbake -e shows all variables
> > but ones which are flagged 'unexport' (e.g. DISTRO, MACHINE). --
>
>   *sigh* ... just ignore my stupidity.  in my fatigue, i totally
> forgot that configuring a pandaboard required adding meta-ti on top of
> straight OE, and there was no yocto-related content involved, but i
> was still remembering all of the variables i could see when i was
> using yocto.

Heh, oops, that'd explain it :)

 in any event, i like the bitbake-env script, is it worth adding some
> variant of that to bitbake itself?

I personally think that something like it would be useful in bitbake proper.

FYI, bitbake-env now supports optionally showing function dependencies:

$ bitbake-env -d TARGET_PREFIX
def csl_target_sys(d):
    toolchain_path = d.getVar('EXTERNAL_TOOLCHAIN', True)

    for triplet in d.getVar('CSL_TARGET_SYS', True).split():
        gcc = os.path.join(toolchain_path, 'bin', triplet + '-gcc')
        if os.path.exists(gcc):
            return triplet + '-'
    return 'powerpc-mel-linux-gnuspe-'

# TARGET_PREFIX="${@csl_target_sys(d)}"
TARGET_PREFIX="powerpc-linux-gnu-"

$ bitbake-env -d do_compile
base_do_compile () {
        if [ -e Makefile -o -e makefile -o -e GNUmakefile ]; then
                oe_runmake || die "make failed"
        else
                bbnote "nothing to compile"
        fi