[bitbake-devel] SDK install path and versioning

Bue Petersen bue at praqma.net
Tue Oct 30 07:50:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

We are using bitbake + openembedded to build a custom linux platform
with an image and a SDK for Qt development.
I have some questions on how to achive some goals regarding automated
testing. Really hope you can help.

1) how can we "stamp" a version number in the image? I found
IMAGE_BASENAME for changing the filename, but I would like also to
leave some kind of version number that can be checked on the running
system. What is best practice there?
2) Regarding the SDK I would like to install it on a custom path. The
normal setup is system-wide on /usr/local/ as I can see. I need to be
able to install several at different locations. Maybee even just in
the workspace where we develop the Qt-application so I always know
exactly which is used for the test. I found the SDKPATH and
SDKNATIVEPATH to change this, but do we really need to set the exact
path at build time?

I have done a lot of research and googled intensively, but still not
solved the problem so I really hope someone can help. Any hints will
be mostly appreciated.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Bue Petersen