[bitbake-devel] [OE-core] BitBake changes in the Yocto Project 1.5 cycle

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 16:51:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> We'd add in some kind of
> timeout of say 15 minutes so that it would gracefully exit.

Hopefully this time-out will start at the completion of the most
recent bitbake command, rather than from its start?

> The reason for doing this is simple, it would allow commands to be much
> more responsive rather than having the cache/configuration loading each
> time which is where our current overhead is.

This sounds like a very nice feature to have.

> This would then lead into the second proposal which is to add better
> support for new commands.

It would be nice if there was a way to zero-in on an existing
environment variable. For example:

    $ bitbake -e <image>

produces a lot of information which I then have to parse in order to
figure out how a given environment variable is being set. It would be
nice if I could simply:

    $ bitbake -e <image> <variable>

and just get the pertinent parts.