[bitbake-devel] [RFC] git: add BB_FETCH_PREMIRROR_READONLY option

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 14:46:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 01:57:42PM +0100, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2013 12:52:40 Martin Jansa wrote:
> > * just RFC, because I haven't even tested this change,
> >   use it only to describe the issue and discuss it
> >
> > * remove symlink to ud.fullmirror when BB_FETCH_PREMIRROR_READONLY is set
> >
> > * with read-only PREMIRROR (e.g. mounted over NFS or CIFS
> >   and referenced as file:///mnt/premirror) we cannot use
> >   BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS because all git2_abc.git.tar.gz
> >   files later became just symlinks to read-only location in PREMIRROR
> >   (it works fine on first build and for new components, because
> >   at that time there isn't tarball on PREMIRROR yet).
> >
> >   ERROR: Fetcher failure: Fetch command failed with exit code 141, output:
> >   tar (child): /build/downloads/git2_abc.git.tar.gz: Cannot open: Read-only
> > file system tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >
> > * maybe we can change the default behavior and always remove symlink
> >   without introducing new option
>
> Personally I think it would be better to do the latter.

Only case when keeping old behavior is IMHO desirable is when someone
is using file:// and wants tar.gz updated in original location (e.g. to
rsync less from downloads directory after build).

But it won't update all (e.g. new components which don't have symlinks
yet) so rsync is still needed and usefulness of such requirement is quite low.

Cheers,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com