[bitbake-devel] Developing in Python for Bitbake

Brad Litterell brad at evidence.com
Tue Dec 17 20:11:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

I want to create a new bbclass for some internal build tooling and am fairly new to Python, so I have a couple of (hopefully quick) questions:

1. Can you recommend an Python IDE for developing for bitbake on Linux?  There seem to be several, and if there is a consensus among the bitbake developers, I thought I'd start there.

2. Is there a list of pre-defined variables?  For example, gitpkgv.bbclass starts with def get_git_pkgv(d, use_tags):

"d" appears to be frequently assumed.  I'm guessing it is the same as the "D" variable in the recipes, but I am not sure whether there is a document that verifies this - and what else is available, or whether it is just tribal knowledge?

Thanks,
Brad