[bitbake-devel] still confused about _append and OVERRIDES and = and +=, argh

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Jan 1 19:18:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>   again, so far, so good -- the second override superseded the first,
> correct?
>
>         test 4:
>
> BLAH = "A"
> BLAH_rday = "B"
> BLAH_rday_append = "C"
>
> $ bitbake-env BLAH
> BLAH="B"
> $
>
>    ?????  that confuses me.  according to section 2.2.1 in bitbake
> manual (very first example):
>

> OVERRIDES = "foo"
>
> A_foo_append = "X"
>
> "In this case, X is unconditionally appended to the variable A_foo.
> Since foo is an override, A_foo would then replace A."
>
> according to that, i should expect BLAH to have the value "BC", no?

Yeah, as far as I'm aware that's what should have happened, but as you
noticed, this form is extremely unusual. Usually if one wants to do this,
they just use an immediate operator like .= or += instead of _append.
Sounds like a bitbake "bug", but one that one is unlikely to hit in
practice. Honestly, we should really cut back on the overuse of _append and
_prepend in general, as a janitorial task, if for no other reason than to
reduce confusion :)
--
Christopher Larson