[bitbake-devel] Variable tracking...

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Jan 9 21:30:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:27:57PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > So, I sent some variable-tracking patches a while back that had been
> > cleaned up in response to various feedback. And I don't think I heard
> > back anything about problems with them, but I don't think I heard
> > anything positive.
> >
> > Is anyone still interested in the variable-assignment-tracking stuff,
> > other than me? I maintain that it is REALLY useful when trying to track
> > down variables getting the wrong values.
>
> I didn't look at the implementation, but I also find this feature very
> usefull.

More than once over the past few weeks it would have been handy for me, and
more than once it would have helped others asking me questions find the
answers themselves, so I'd definitely like to see it go in. I'm not 100%
happy with how it's implemented, but I honestly can't think of any other
way to make it happen without major refactoring of bitbake, so I personally
think it should go in as is, and potentially revisit things in the future.
--
Christopher Larson