[bitbake-devel] Graphviz folder

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jan 24 14:12:42 UTC 2013

On Thursday 24 January 2013 11:12:55 Jack Mitchell wrote:
> I was wondering if there would be support or interest for a patch which
> puts generated graphviz and dependancy files into their own folder.
>
> Currently bitbake -g image creates a multitude of files in the root
> folder and I feel it just gets a bit messy. I think a better solution
> would either be to put the files in their own folder e.g. graphviz (name
> to be decided) or in tmp/graphviz.

This doesn't seem unreasonable, although I've never been too bothered with it
writing to the current directory myself.

> On the topic of graphviz I can't seem to find a supported application
> for viewing the files as a nice graph, is this format still relevant
> these days?

Well, graphviz itself is the tool usually used to process these files (e.g. the
"dot" command which graphviz provides) however the image files it produces can
be somewhat large. My tool of choice however is xdot
(http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/XDot), which seems to handle large
graphs fairly well.

Cheers,
Paul