[bitbake-devel] Question on including ruby 1.9.3 in embedded image

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jun 6 08:13:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 18:46 +0000, Ming Chan (chanm) wrote:
> We are trying to include ruby-1.9.3 by using the recipe in
> the meta-openembedded/meta-ruby(git://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded), Issues seen during the bitbake run:
>      1. While package ruby-native-1.9.3-p194-r1.0, task do_compile
>         failed with "undefined symbol: rb_encdb_declare", the work
>         around this issue is to use --disable-rdoc
>      2. While package ruby-1.9.3-p194-r1.0, task do_compile failed
>         with the following:
>                 template/Doxyfile.tmpl:22: uninitialized constant
>                 RUBY_REVISION (NameError).  The work around is to use
>                 0 instead of RUBY_REVISION.
>               * executable host ruby is required.  The work around is
>                 to use --with-baseruby option and provide baseruby
>                 from build machine.
>               * ext/etc/extconf.rb:8: undefined method `escape' for
>                 Shellwords.  This issue is caused by the version of
>                 executable host ruby is to old.  This issue
>                 disappeared after using ruby-1.8.7 on the build
>                 machine.
>               * The current issue is "../.././lib/erb.rb:586:in
>                 `compile': undefined method `encoding' for
>                 #<String:0x2a9560fee0> (NoMethodError)"
> Does it make sense for the work around described?  Any requirement
> (i.e. The version of gcc) is needed to use  the recipe in
> the meta-openembedded/meta-ruby?

This mailing list is about bitbake itself, not about metadata and build
problems. See the README in the meta-opembedded layer for details on
where to take questions (its the openenembedded-devel mailing list in
this case).

FWIW it is a bug that you have to work around these issues however the
quality of recipes in meta-openembedded is variable.

Cheers,

Richard