[bitbake-devel] User Manual: HelloWorld example questions.

Bill Traynor btraynor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:51:25 UTC 2013

NOTE:  The following questions are posed within the context of the
BitBake User Manual rewrite.

In working through the following two HelloWorld examples:

http://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg09379.html
http://hambedded.org/blog/2012/11/24/from-bitbake-hello-world-to-an-image/

there are some concepts that I don't quite understand.

1.  The simplest HelloWorld possible would only require a recipe and
source, correct?  The concepts of Classes and Layers is beyond the
basics, is it not?  Or is the simplest of HelloWorld examples without
concepts such as Classes and Layers essentially pointless?

2.  Why isn't there a sample base.bbclass in the bitbake source tree?

3.  I think it would be very beneficial to understanding BitBake to
build out the HelloWorld example beyond the basics, incorporating and
explaining each concept along the way.  My thinking is that given the
true value of BitBake is in the building of complex systems, it would
be beneficial to walk through the concepts as simply as possible to
demonstrate the concepts that require leverage to accomplish this.
This would both demonstrate how BitBake works whiile avoiding overuse
of OE or YP project examples.  Is this idea reasonable, or beyond the
scope of the User manual?

That's all for now.  I appreciate the feedback.

Bill