[bitbake-devel] Bitbake for native x86 project?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Oct 14 15:30:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 11:02 -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
> Ahh. I see.
>
> Thank you for those examples, I'll take a look at it in more detail
> and see what I can learn. I appreciate the help.
>
> Today I'm going to try to setup a sstate on a remote machine that has
> a few hundred GB of free space, do a build and then try locally to do
> the same. One question I had was whether developers, when using the
> sstate, would receive tens of gigabytes of files downloaded to their
> machines. I think that would be ok but not idea but oh well.

They shouldn't see tens of gigabytes. I'd say we're talking a few
hundred megabytes.

As Trevor also mentions, there is the SDK/ADT standalone toolchain for
app development work which is worth looking at too. That could move the
need for the core builds to a small number of people and/or central
server.

> Would you be interested in doing some consulting/contracting around
> the issue? or know if some one that might be? It would probably be 10x
> faster than me doing it and we could avoid the various pitfalls that
> we might hit during experimentation. If you or anyone is interested
> you can contact me at chmorgan at gmail.com. We are in the Boston area
> but telecommute works too.

For me personally this isn't possible however there are a number of
community members offering consultancy around the project who may be
able to help and may get in touch :).

Cheers,

Richard