[bitbake-devel] *-dbg package...

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Aug 25 15:24:57 UTC 2014

First this is the wrong list.  The question should have gone to oe-core devel,
or openembedded-devel lists.  (I have CC'd the first)

On 8/21/14, 9:59 PM, info at sd-kyber.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I’m trying to write ( and to use ) a recipe which should build a simple  .rpm,
>   which contains the /usr/lib/libaffinity.so and a  few header files within
> /usr/include/affinity/* subdir.
>
> However, it looks like bitbake is trying / “forcing” me to  build a ${PN}-dbg
> package….:
>
> I’m doing the following steps:
>
> 1. recipe:
>>> inherit  cmake pkgconfig
>
> PACKAGES = "${PN}"
> FILES_${PN} = "${libdir}/libaffinity.so /usr/include/affinity/*”

Just removing '${PN}-dbg' does not inform the system that you do not want debug
information to be generated.  There is a set of standard routines, performed
after do_install, that will generate the debug information unless disabled.

To disable the routines you set:

INHIBIT_PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT = '1'
INHIBIT_PACKAGE_STRIP = '1'

There are two settings they can be used separately, but in your case you likely
want both.

INHIBIT_PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT = '1' disables the files in your package from being
split into run-time and debug components.

INHIBIT_PACKAGE_STRIP = '1' disabled the system from attempting to strip the
run-time components of debug information.

--Mark