[bitbake-devel] Bitbake interaction

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 22:26:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 02:56:45PM +0200, jan alexandru vaduva wrote:
> I am interested in maybe offer support of multiple bitbake commands in the
> same build directory.
> Can you please help me with some available documentation when interacting
> with bitbake.
>
> As I see it now the only available way of interaction with the bitbake tool
> is to use yocto and create a build directory, setup the environment and
> call the bitbake tool.
> I did not found any documentation on how to regenerate the bitbake
> executable or any ways of interacting with it.

I fear i cannot really help, but bitbake, being a python script, is
built like any other python project:
$ python ./setup.py build
running build
running build_py
running build_scripts
make: Nothing to be done for `html'.
$ (cd build && ln -s lib.* lib)

This builds bitbake and generates html documentation that i recommend
reading with your favourite browser.

> The only solution that I found was to take by hand the source code and find
> the answers by myself. That is fine, but it takes time. Could you please
> help with any documentation that will make my work a little easier?

It is quite possible that the documentation covers the basic stuff to
start your own bitbake-based project i fyou do not want to use one of
the pre-existing projects using bitbake. I think that getting a basic
system of .bb files going should not be all that hard, fwiw.

HTH,