[bitbake-devel] Getting-started page for bitbake development or debugging?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Feb 24 23:05:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 21:01 +0000, Brad Litterell wrote:
> I would like to debug bitbake on my project to better understand some
> of the actions it is taking.  I could add a bunch of logging
> statements, but it would be easier if I could just run it under a
> python debugger and set a breakpoint where I'm curious.  I'm new to
> Python, so I'm wondering if there is a suggested toolset?

None of the Bitbake maintainers use python's debugger so its hard to
give advice.

The closest I've got to this was the python devshell implementation I
started:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=rpurdie/wipqueue3&id=9ed8fd5c962ccf01daa669b79da70dfa7e8ff8bd

which may or may not let you experiment. I'd love to see improvements to
it and/or other docs on debugging bitbake with the debugger...

Cheers,

Richard