[bitbake-devel] distinguishing between bitbake and "higher" layers WRT fetching variables [LONG]

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Jun 20 16:09:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Christopher Larson wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
> >         (note: more annoying pedantry regarding bitbake configuration and
> >       documentation but, if i'm going to explain this to my students, i
> >       really need to understand it completely.)
> >
> >         some questions and observations about how bitbake defines some
> >       fetch-related variables as opposed to how those variables are
> defined
> >       in higher layers such as oe-core and poky. as richard purdie(?)
> >       pointed out recently, the goal should be to document bitbake as
> >       independently as possible from what happens in layers such as oe
> and
> >       poky, but it seems this is not as clean as it could be.
> >
> >         consider first bitbake's current bitbake.conf file. first, can we
> >       agree that this set of variables:
> >

> > Before I dive into the remainder of the email, we should note that
> > the bitbake.conf in bitbake is never used when you use oe, it's
> > solely as an example / starting point for other non-oe projects
> > wanting to use bitbake. Presumably it gets forgotten about when
> > changes to bitbake itself are made, and so it's fallen behind.
>
>   oh, i realize that but (i think) my main point was that it seems
> almost impossible to document bitbake completely stand-alone when
> almost everyone is going to use it in the context of a higher layer
> like OE, and there just seem to be unnecessary inconsistencies between
> bitbake and OE that make the bitbake user manual confusing.

Fair enough. An argument could be made that oe-core *is* the example of how
to use bitbake, but the problem with that is, the bitbake.conf there
doesn't differentiate between what's required for bitbake / what vars are
obeyed specifically by bitbake and the vars that are obeyed by oe-core's
classes, so a non-oe project would have difficulty in paring it down to
what they need for their own projects.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com