[bitbake-devel] are the fetch-related variables in bitbake's bitbake.conf of any value?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jun 25 15:03:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Friday 20 June 2014 12:23:12 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Christopher Larson wrote:
> > > On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >   more specific question related to my earlier post -- is there any
> > > value whatever in the variables in bitbake's bitbake.conf file of the
> > > form:
> > >
> > >   FETCHCOMMAND*
> > >   RESUMECOMMAND*
> > >   UPDATECOMMAND*
> > >   MKTEMP*CMD
> > >
> > > nothing seems to use any of those. can they all just be deleted?
> > > certainly, the FETCHCOMMAND* variables have been superseded by the
> > > FETCHCMD* variables, no? i don't know about the remainder of them.
> > >
> > > As far as I know, as you say, those were deprecated in favor of the
> > > FETCHCMD vars, so can almost certainly be dropped.
> >
> >   one more question before i submit a patch to do some cleaning.
> > AFAICT, the bitbake.conf settings for RESUMECOMMAND* and
> > UPDATECOMMAND* variables can be removed as well since nothing in
> > bitbake refers to those variables, and it seems logical that bitbake
> > should not be setting variables that it doesn't directly use in some
> > way.
>
> Those look old to me as well.
>
> >   however, i'm puzzled by this from the bitbake codebase:
> >
> > $ grep -r "MKTEMP.*CMD" *
> > conf/bitbake.conf:MKTEMPCMD = "mktemp -q ${TMPBASE}"
> > conf/bitbake.conf:MKTEMPDIRCMD = "mktemp -d -q ${TMPBASE}"
> > lib/toaster/orm/fixtures/orm_views_testdata.json:        "variable_name":
> > "MKTEMPCMD" lib/toaster/orm/fixtures/orm_views_testdata.json:
> > "variable_name": "MKTEMPDIRCMD" $
> >
> >   so the only reference to the MKTEMP-related variables are in the
> > toaster directory in some .json files. what does that mean? if one
> > wanted to remove the MKTEMP* variables, would one also have to
> > adjust those .json files accordingly?
>
> The intention is to provide a way for QA verify that Toaster is
> collecting the variable data correctly, but because the json files
> contain every variable value, they are already out-of-date. We
> probably ought to filter the list that is used for that test to make
> it more maintainable.

  so, in short, it should be safe to ditch the
{FETCH,RESUME,UPDATE}COMMAND variable settings, but i'm still unclear
on what would need to be done re: the MKTEMP* variables -- i'll just
submit a patch taking out the first set, and let someone else worry
about the ones that show up in json files.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca