[bitbake-devel] question about BBVERSIONS OVERRIDES and PREFERRED_VERSION

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Aug 25 11:50:31 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-08-22 at 17:56 +0800, 张忠山 wrote:
> But, I'm not sure this work for other env.
>
> I don't know why just lower case override permited in  this function.
>
> Version string just include digit and point is very common, but
> islower() return False for these strings.
>
> This behavior is intended or a bug?
> Or has another way to solve my problem?

There was a discussion a while ago and we decided to only have bitbake
accept lower case overrides. I believe that the numeric piece isn't an
issue but the decimal point character probably is.

The reason for this was to try and avoid some of the performance costs
where any variable with a "_" in the name was potentially an override
character and this was costly for variable processing.

Cheers,

Richard