[bitbake-devel] New progress meters

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Jul 19 17:06:46 UTC 2016

On 7/19/16 11:45 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 19 July 2016 at 10:21, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com
> <mailto:gary at mlbassoc.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks.  I was mostly asking to see what the expected "user experience"
>     should be since the webkitgtk (which takes FOREVER to build) seemed a
>     bit misleading/optimistic.  For the most part, I do like the additional
>     information.
>

> The situation here is that cmake counts the steps and announces its progress
> through them as the progress.  Of course the last step is to link about 8GB of
> binaries...
>
> A progress bar is better than no progress bar, so I still call this an
> improvement :)

We have (had, python 3 broke it) a patch to knotty that permits the logs to be
presented on the screen during a build so for places where you think it might
have hung you can at least get some status.

I like the idea of a progress bar.. but we need to weigh the 'it looks like it
froze' vs 'make sure people know things are still moving'.

in the GUI world this is the old hour glass/spinning cursor/rotating progress
bar -- vs a progress meter behavior..

--Mark