[bitbake-devel] [Openembedded-architecture] Multi-configuration builds

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:37:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-21 09:26 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

>> Op 20 jun. 2016, om 05:14 heeft nick <xerofoify at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

>>> Personally I have a common "Downloads" directory (this is probably quite normal).
>>>
>>> Then, I have a common "layers" directory in which I checkout every layer of
>>> which I'm aware. I also have a script that I run manually from time to time to
>>> keep each layer up to date (although it's capable of running any general git
>>> command on each git repository it finds one level beneath it):
>>> 	https://github.com/twoerner/oe-misc/blob/master/scripts/gitcmd.sh
>>>
>>> I then create separate directories for each platform for which I'm interested
>>> in building (e.g. raspi2, raspi3, minnow, dragon, etc...). In each of those
>>> directories I have separate local.conf, bblayers.conf, sstate-cache, and tmp
>>> directories.
>>>
>>> I know most will disagree with this arrangement (especially the separate
>>> sstate-cache directories) but it's a system that has evolved over time, each
>>> decision was made based on experience, and it works great for me!
>>>
>>> It's been my experience that having too many layers in a build slows down the
>>> initial parsing stage noticeably and too often layers don't play well with
>>> each other. Also *many* build issues after an update can be fixed by blowing
>>> away tmp *and* sstate and starting over. Often, building for a particular
>>> board requires particular tweaks to local.conf (whether to enable a vendor
>>> license or to enable specific hardware/features) which don't apply to other
>>> boards and builds.
>>>
>>> I'm happy with the speed of my builds, and I have enough disk space to
>>> maintain the multiple sstates/tmps/etc. *Most* of my builds are
>>> core-image-full-cmdline-type builds and I can crank one of those out from
>>> scratch in 20 minutes (assuming the majority of sources have already been
>>> downloaded). Although I do sometimes need chromium (which takes an hour on its
>>> own) and I used to do qt (which is also quite painful). So I can understand
>>> how sstate might be more useful to others, but for me, not so much.
>> I second Trevor on this unless your building gui or media based packages sstate
>> is not very useful if you have a modern system with a 4 to 8 core CPU with 8 to
>> 16GB of ram. However if your trying to just do small tweaks to the same board and
>> test it may be of use as I use something similar for building the kernel called
>> ccache. Again as Trevor stated you may want to benchmark the results and see if
>> sstate actually decreases your build time by a significant margin i.e probably
>> more then half decreases your build speed. Otherwise I would agree with Trevor
>> and just not worry about sstate.
>
> My CI run that builds a basic image for about 30 machines drops from ~16 hours to about 1 hour after the first build with most of the remaining time spent in:
>
> 1) xz’ing the images
> 2) importing prserv-export.conf
> 3) parsing

> [...]
Koen,
I don't known the bitbake commands that well but to my knowledge there is a profile option that can tell you where you
build is taking the most time. However why not try moving your whole project setup to the NVME ssd if there is enough
space on it, this may help improve the speed of your builds even further.
Hope this helps,
Nick