[bitbake-devel] [Openembedded-architecture] Python 3 for Bitbake

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Thu May 5 05:10:01 UTC 2016

> On May 4, 2016, at 2:34 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
>

>> On 4 May 2016 at 22:29, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
>> I'd hate for someone to bring in a layer and find it doesn't work, without
>> understanding WHY it doesn't work.
>>
>> Alternative would be to change the 'python' identifier to 'python3'..  Then if
>> 'python' is parsed, we error?
>
> That sounds like a lot of dull work.  If a layer's class is using python2 syntax and runs under python3 then it will generally throw exceptions, right?

Yes, you will see a lot of TypeError, SyntaxError and other exceptions. In fact, the try:catch handling for those exceptions is a frequent crutch for py2-py3 compatibility. The other biggest PITA is str vs unicode and friends. Look at the recent commits for pystatgrab (upstream) as an example.

Ripping off the band-aid sounds ok to me too. Flag day +1

--Tim

"Just as long as we aren't switching to perl6 at the same time."