[bitbake-devel] [Openembedded-architecture] Python 3 for Bitbake

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed May 4 21:29:11 UTC 2016

On 5/4/16 3:56 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> My proposal is we decide to have the flag day, we queue up the patches
> on a python3 branch both in oe-core and bitbake, then we switch when we
> get successful autobuilder builds. I'd ideally like to do this quite
> soon and get one with it (within a few weeks), leaving plenty of time
> to handle issues and the other changes planned for this release cycle
> and give other layers time to adapt.
>
> I will likely push things so the basics in the core work, I'll then
> need help for things like toaster, the QA framework, the supporting
> tools (devtool, recipetool and so on).
>
> Does anyone object to this?

I think this is a good plan.  Flag day, and switch.

Question, do we need any type of identifier in layers to say they're "python3"
compatible or not?

I'd hate for someone to bring in a layer and find it doesn't work, without
understanding WHY it doesn't work.

Alternative would be to change the 'python' identifier to 'python3'..  Then if
'python' is parsed, we error?

--Mark