[bitbake-devel] [Openembedded-architecture] Python 3 for Bitbake

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu May 5 15:13:21 UTC 2016

On 5/5/16 7:13 AM, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 05/04/2016 05:29 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 5/4/16 3:56 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
>>> My proposal is we decide to have the flag day, we queue up the patches
>>> on a python3 branch both in oe-core and bitbake, then we switch when we
>>> get successful autobuilder builds. I'd ideally like to do this quite
>>> soon and get one with it (within a few weeks), leaving plenty of time
>>> to handle issues and the other changes planned for this release cycle
>>> and give other layers time to adapt.
>>>
>>> I will likely push things so the basics in the core work, I'll then
>>> need help for things like toaster, the QA framework, the supporting
>>> tools (devtool, recipetool and so on).
>>>
>>> Does anyone object to this?
>>
>> I think this is a good plan.  Flag day, and switch.
>>
>> Question, do we need any type of identifier in layers to say they're "python3"
>> compatible or not?
>
> Layers that are python2 will need krogoth branches. I'd expect master
> branches to follow oe-core/master and jump to python3.

I don't disagree, but my experience has been that branching is late or never in
a lot of layers.

This might be a place where we need to plan to go through the layer index and at
least see if the layer parses -- and flag things that no longer parse?  (I don't
even know if this is something reasonable to attempt.)

My fear is just we've already got a lot of "broken" (without defining that)
layers in the index, and I think it will be worse once the python3 change
happens.  I'd really like to make sure we don't confuse people with various errors.

--Mark