[bitbake-devel] Python 3 for Bitbake

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sun May 22 07:58:57 UTC 2016

Where are we at?

The python3 branches in bitbake, OE-Core and poky are looking fairly
good from a build perspective. The run overnight on the autobuilder had
the following issues:

ppc specific sanity test failure:
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-ppc/builds/7
99
https:
//autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-ppc-lsb/builds/770

weird intermittent multilib failure:
https:/
/autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-multilib/builds/795

4 test failures in oe-selftest:
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-oe-selftest/
builds/517

which given the scope of the changes isn't so bad.

I have merged some of the pieces which are 2.7 safe into master. We've
had some issues with buildtools-tarball and the python3 it contains but
I think we're nearly there in resolving that. I don't believe toaster i
quite there yet either but getting close.

The question is therefore how much more work to do before those
branches are ready for merging? They do need a little more cosmetic
cleanup but I think things are very close.

I would like to get them merged sooner than later since they are quite
a nightmare to maintain.

Cheers,

Richard