[bitbake-devel] Add files supporting bash completion for bitbake tools

richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Sep 7 11:46:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-09-07 at 12:38 +0200, Łukasz Gardoń wrote:
> Indeed, poky repository is combined with using combo layer tool, I
> forger about this fact.
>
> So how fell can I prepare a change with adding completion files for
> BitBake into bitbake repository (just storing those files under
> contrib dir). And also prepare a change for oe-core also with adding
> complete files under contrib dir (e.g for devtool) and adapt env
> scripts.
>
> I am volunteering my self for keeping update these files if this is
> possible.

I guess I'm ok in principle to do something like this and happy to have
a maintainer. I did look at the patches and I don't think they're
acceptable in their current form though.

The list of tasks is hardcoded whilst in reality different recipes have
different tasks and the available tasks is metadata defined. I do not
want to see a hardcoded list of tasks. The expression to obtain recipe
data is also rather ugly.

Ultimately our plan is to have bitbake be memory resident so there is
no real parsing overhead for queries. If that were the case we'd be
able to get correct recipe/task information from bitbake.

So in principle, I'm open to the idea but we likely need memory
resident bitbake and a helper to pull the info you need for correct
completion data directly from bitbake rather than guessing.

Cheers,

Richard