[bitbake-devel] RFC: exposing information about the SRC_URI(s)/branch via buildhistory (or similar mechanism)

chris.laplante at agilent.com chris.laplante at agilent.com
Thu Aug 1 16:51:38 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Most of my team's closed source recipes use something like the following:

SRC_URI = "git://git@host/path;protocol=ssh;branch=${BRANCH}"
SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"
BRANCH ??= "master"

(BRANCH is just a convention we use to make the SRC_URI branch easy to override.)

This makes nightly builds convenient because we always build from the latest. For release versions, we can use SRCREV_pn-recipe and/or BRANCH_pn-recipe overrides in local.conf. We get the SRCREV overrides using buildhistory-collect-srcrevs. But buildhistory has no notion or tracking of SRC_URI or branches, so currently we use a script that generates the BRANCH overrides.

I'm interesting in adding SRC_URI support to buildhistory (or a similar mechanism), and would like to get some input.

Option 1) The easiest way, I think, is to just generate SRC_URI_pn- overrides with variable expansion.

Option 2) I think it could be useful to introduce BRANCH as a convention. Currently the "branch" SRC_URI parameter implicitly defaults to "master". I could foresee it implicitly defaulting to "${BRANCH}", with BRANCH ??= "master" to replicate existing functionality. To handle multiple source-controlled SRC_URIs, we'd have to do something similar to how SRCREV has a "name" override. With this option, I wouldn't think it would be necessary to generate SRC_URI overrides; just BRANCH overrides.

Option 3) A combination of 1 and 2?

Looking forward to input.

Thanks,
Chris