[bitbake-devel] Code coverage above all software components

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Feb 19 23:33:10 UTC 2019

On 2/19/19 2:24 PM, Yanni Leckel via bitbake-devel wrote:
> Hey bitbake team,
> I have a lot of software components to build.
> I want to do code coverage with the tool gcov.

Bitbake is equivalent to make.  So instead you need to change the build
instructions..  I assume you are using OpenEmbedded.. so you would need to
change your system, recipe, and/or class configurations to do what you want.

It's better to ask on the oe-core list if someone has done this before,
otherwise you are going to need to add the necessary compiler arguments and/or
packaging instructions to the system compiles everything in a way that code
coverage can be created.

You will also have to execute each binary with a specific test case that YOU
design in order to get the code coverage maps.

I've only done this in limited cases, never for the whole system.  So be aware
that if you don't find any answers on the OE mailing list, likely you are trying
something that is not typically done.