[bitbake-devel] /run/user/<id>/bb

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Jan 7 16:07:09 UTC 2019

On 1/7/19 8:56 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-01-03 at 23:57 +0000, Slater, Joseph wrote:
>> TMPDIR is useful, but named sockets need a "short" pathname, so it it
>> might be nice to have a RUNDIR, or something similar, under
>> /run/user/<id>/bb.  Could this be added?  I would do it if the
>> concept is accepted.
>
> What problem are we solving with this?
>
> I'm guessing problems with memory resident bitbake in envvars but I am
> having to guess! :)

I'm assuming it's a combination of memory resident bitbake, and overall path
length in TMPDIR to the sockets.  Sockets have a maximum filesystem path length
(107 characters in Linux) that is much shorted then other components in the
system (4k or less).

The typical way people work around this is whenever you use a socket you cd to
the path of the socket and then open it relative to the current location.

in either the TMPDIR or RUNDIR type configuration, that 'cd ; open' type
behavior will still likely be needed.  So I'm not sure if RUNDIR actually fixes
anything when it comes to path length issues.  It just moves the socket to a
known location, from 'current' path.

...but with that said, there is some precedence in other tools for defining
RUNDIR based on an existing path (such as TMPDIR), but allowing it to be
overridden easily.  (Assuming there is a specific use that having a known RUNDIR
makes sense for.)

--Mark