[bitbake-devel] Patch idea - fetcher for gerrit patches

Adrian Ambrożewicz adrian.ambrozewicz at linux.intel.com
Fri Nov 8 14:08:34 UTC 2019

Hello,

As it is my first message here allow me to introduce myself. I'm Adrian
Ambrożewicz and I work at Intel Technology Poland. I love flexibility
and features of Bitbake and I would like to propose new feature which
will solve our problem.

I would like to propose extension to already supported fetcher library -
gerrit. Idea is to be able to apply gerrit patches by simply specifying:
"SRC_URI += gerrit://[gerrit_server];change=[change_id]". Fetcher would
then take care of downloading most recent patchset from given review.
Further extensiosn of that fetcher could include ability to specify:
- revision (get given revision instead of top)
- topic (get all patches from given topic)
- project (to be used in conjunction with 'topic' parameter)
etc...

I've prepared minimal PoC implementation without any error handling. It
works just fine and is basing on wget command. Gerrit REST API is used
to obtain base64-encoded patch which is then decoded to file with name
[change_id].patch . I'm very interested in polishing that and
upstreaming it for everyone to use.

The question I have for you is the following: does this fetcher have a
chance to be accepted upstream?

Regards,
Adrian