[bitbake-devel] KVM kernel modules missing from Yocto kernel

Wayne Li waynli329 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 18:22:42 UTC 2019

Dear Yocto Developers,

I'm trying to incorporate KVM into a Yocto kernel me and my coworker build
for a T4240 RDB (which has a PowerPC CPU).  The problem is, no matter what
I do the KVM kernel module (I'm expecting a kvm.ko or any .ko file along
those lines) is not present in the image.

First I tried adding the content of the .config file generated when
configuring the kernel for KVM support into the kernel configuration file.
This resulted in KVM source directories appearing in the kernel but no KVM
related kernel modules are present.  I explain this in more detail in a
previous email conversation I had with the Yocto community (saved in a
Github gist for readability):

https://gist.github.com/WayneZhenLi/d5d7a5e8c30e6d4b7cd4541d0c24cab5

Since then I've tried a few things.  First, I added the following lines to
the local.conf file (found in build_t4240rdb-64b/conf folder):

MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kvm-image-minimal"

But that didn't seem to work as there weren't any new .ko files in the
final image.  Next I tried adding the following lines to the same
local.conf file:

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "kernel-modules"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "kvm-image-minimal"

This time I get an error saying "ERROR: kvm-image-minimal not found in the
base feeds (t4240rdb-64b ppc64e6500 powerpc64 noarch any all)".  Also if
just run a "ERROR: bitbake kvm-image-minimal" to see what's going on with
that particular recipe I get an error saying "kernel-module-kvm-intel" not
found in the base feeds (t4240rdb-64b ppc64e6500 powerpc64 noarch any all).

Would I have to write recipes for the packages listed in kvm-image-minimal
such as kernel-module-kvm-intel or kernel-module-kvm?  Note that I'm not
even building the image for intel; I'm building it for PowerPC.  Anyway, I
just feel like writing recipes for the KVM kernel modules isn't the correct
step.  Like maybe I just messed up my with my configuration somehow?  What
are your thoughts?

-Thanks!, Wayne Li