[bitbake-devel] can i get a list of only bbappend'ed recipes that were *used* in a build?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Feb 28 19:38:09 UTC 2020

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, Mikko.Rapeli at bmw.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 08:33:36AM -0500, rpjday at crashcourse.ca wrote:
> > looked around and i don't see an immediately obvious way to do
> > this ... is there a way to generate a list of *only* those recipes
> > that were used in the current build that had associated .bbappend
> > files?
> >
> > "bitbake-layers show-appends" will show all recipes with .bbappend
> > files, including those that are not included and processed for the
> > current build/image. here's the rationale, in case i'm missing
> > something.
>
> I'm doing "find meta* -name \*recipe\*bb\*" and reviewing every one
> of them. More visibility to this including parsing order would be
> nice to store in e.g. buildhistory.

  thanks for clarifying that there wasn't a massively trivial way to
do this that i just didn't see.

> > been handed an existing vendor layer, with *tons* of bbappend'ed
> > recipes, some basic, some from meta-openembedded and many from the
> > vendor's proprietary layer. my go-to strategy is to always try to
> > build a core-image-minimal to establish a working baseline and,
> > when that works, it would be nice to know which of the recipes
> > that contributed to that core-image-minimal build were modified in
> > any way via a .bbappend file, then work my way out.
> >
> > does that make sense? is there a way to do this, other than wander
> > down to tmp/work/... and try to figure out which recipes were
> > modified from the original? am i overlooking something simple?
>
> I start off by reviewing every single file in vendor and BSP SW
> layers before I add them to builds. Sadly this does not catch bad
> things which get integrated later in updates.
>
> Resulting distro config in my projects is full of BBMASK paths to
> the various layers which are intrusive with their bbappends.

  yup, i'd already thought of that ... a methodical way to slowly add
recipes/layers to the build.

> Maybe recording all bbappends and their relative paths in the
> project and parsing order to buildhistory would help.
>
> I would also like to limit layers from adding bbappends to certain
> recipes but I don't see ways for this currently without external
> scripts.

  yeah, there's lots of cool things i can think of that would assist
in a migration from an older version of OE/YP to a more recent one.

rday