[bitbake-devel] devtool hardcodes using 'git' patchtool which causes errors

Adrian Ambrożewicz adrian.ambrozewicz at linux.intel.com
Tue Jan 21 09:36:46 UTC 2020

In poky sources i can see that default PATCHTOOL used is 'quilt'
(https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/blob/master/meta/conf/bitbake.conf)
and it works flawlessly. Devtool however still defaults to legacy 'git'
PATCHTOOL, as specified here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/plain/scripts/lib/devtool/standard.py
  > f.write('PATCHTOOL = "git"\n')

Request:
I've tried to debug the problem but I'm not very familiar with Bitbake
code, so I wonder if we could default to 'quilt' for devtool as well?

Rationale:
'git' PATCHER doesn't work well when he have nested WORKDIR and
striplevel used. 'bitbake -c patch [pkg]' works fine, but 'devtool
modify [pkg]' fails with weird behavior. For example - new files created
by patches are created in wrong location (WORKDIR instead of nested
directory) and package doesn't compile until manually fixed.

Regards,
Adrian