[bitbake-devel] git fetcher: does not execute git fetch --tags or similar when HEAD has not changed

Matthias Schoepfer matthias.schoepfer at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 15 14:22:42 UTC 2020

Hi!

As pointed by Denys Dmytriyenko, I repost here from the yocto project
mailing list.

We have noticed the following issue: We keep the versions of out
software by means of tags on the git repositories, i.e. during the
build, somethings like git describe --tags gets called. In yocto, our
recipe of SomeLibrary might look then similar to this:

SRC_URI = "git://our.private.gitserver.org/git/SomeLibrary.git;tags=v${PV}"

When we build the image, and *then* apply a tag to HEAD, that was
already built before, it seems like the tags are not fetched (my guess
is git fetcher sees that origins HEAD and local HEAD have the same hash
and is fine with it. I believe this is also true for SRCREV instead of
tags=).

The error is, that while the correct version is built, it will report
itself with a wrong version.

Is this a bug? Would you welcome some patch that does git fetch --tags
in any case?!

Regards,

   Matthias