[Openembedded-architecture] Layer compatibility markup proposal

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Jun 2 16:51:14 UTC 2017

On 06/02/2017 11:19 AM, Randy MacLeod wrote:
> On 2017-06-02 10:05 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>>
>> On 2 June 2017 at 14:49, Richard Purdie
>> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
>> <mailto:richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Any thoughts on this?
>>

>> Yes yes yes yes.
>>
>> (yes)
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> PS yes
>
> Maybe, err I mean YES!
> This would help new users.

I'm going to derail the conversation a bit ....

So this gives us a way to flag to users that they are working with a
likely bad combination of layers. This is a good thing.

But, how do we explain how to fix the situation?

We can explain how to add the lines so the layer tries to build, but if
it fails what then? Ask what recipes the user is looking for and copy to
another layer? This would make sense for poorly designed layers, but in
many cases, the problem we need to solve is supporting layer maintainers
better.

As adoption of OpenEmbedded has exploded, it led to a dramatically
increases workload across the entire project. Beyond just the core
layers. This leads to maintainers being overwhelmed by requests for help
with something they published, and then seeing people back off as they
get overwhelmed by demand for support for something they put together to
support a specific project.

I am really interested in the question of how we build up the project,
preferably without dividing into pieces as part of the process.

Philip