[Openembedded-architecture] layers.openembedded.org - suggestion to remove obsolete layers

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Dec 1 21:47:43 UTC 2019

I've been looking through the layer index (master primarly), and I think we need
to figure out a policy of when to remove a layer from master indexing.

So I'd like to suggest the following policy:

- For released branches, we do not remove layers from the index unless the layer
URL is no longer valid.  If it is not valid for more then 90 days, we should
remove it.

- For master branch, we use a series of tests to determine if the layer is still
actively maintained and useful to users:

   1. Is the layer URL valid?  If it has not been valid for more then 90 days,
it should be removed.

   2. Does the layer claim to support any of the last three releases: the
current (or planned release) or prior two releases?
      i.e. LAYERSERIES_COMPAT does not have thud, warrior or zeus in it.

      This means the layer has not been updated within the last 18 months, and
should be removed.

So why the suggestion above?

The URL one should be obvious, if the layer can no longer be downloaded then it
should be removed.  We should be able to detect when the index hasn't been
updated in 90 days.  (We could consider dropping this to 45 or even 30 days.)

Looking for the last 3 releases give people the opportunity to update their
layers, or other people to find layers that may be of interest to them and
submit updates.  After 18 months, the layer is clearly no longer being
maintained and will cause more confusion then actually helping people find
something useful.  (Also after 18 months of inactivity, there is a much higher
likelihood of security vulnerabilities in the code.)

So if the TSC agrees that this is a good proposal, I can work with Paul to
implement it (most likely manually at first, and then eventually via automation.)

--Mark