[Openembedded-architecture] layers.openembedded.org - suggestion to remove obsolete layersHow

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 4 13:01:38 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 4:23:18 AM NZDT akuster808 wrote:
> On 12/2/19 6:28 AM, Mark Hatle wrote:

> >> Can we get a "Delete " button so I take that action myself for my Layers?
> >>
> >> Why put that burden on you and Paul?
> > I thought if you were the owner of the layer you could already remove it
> > yourself.
>
> Nope. All I can see I can do is change its status to "inactive". I don't
> know what that does. Are there doc's ?

Right, there is no way for maintainers without admin rights to delete their own layers. Beyond the FAQ there aren't any docs, but if you're referring to the "Active/Inactive" field next to each maintainer that is just a flag that prevents that maintainer from showing up in the index entry (to anyone but admins and maintainers who can edit the layer). The idea was to make it easy to enable and disable maintainers who came and went and keep a record of who had been a maintainer in the past, but it's not really all that useful in practice.

> > (You just have to login, otherwise contact Paul or I and we can do it
> > pretty quickly.)
>
> This is what i want to avoid.

I don't think this is so common an action that we need to allow maintainers to delete their own entries - we can take care of that. I'd rather there were some controls on layers getting deleted - if the original maintainer is dropping a layer, it might be decided in some cases that it's in everyone's best interest to have someone else pick it up immediately - depends on the layer and the situation. FWIW though I'm happy to grant yourself and others rights on the layer index as appropriate - in fact there are several others already have admin access (including Martin, Michael H, Nicolas, and Randy M) if we aren't around.

One thing maintainers can do at any time is add a note on their layer to mark it as obsolete (with whatever text they want in the note). It might also be useful if there was a button there to send a message to the admins so people don't have to figure out who those are - that function could be implemented pretty easily.

Cheers
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton