[Openembedded-architecture] Yocto support for Centos-7 (RHEL-7): drop in early 2020?

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 02:31:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 01:30:30PM -0500, Philip Balister wrote:

We already spend scarce engineering resources on stuff like (just as
an example) gcc for the target, which is a far more "niche" use case
than CentOS 7 support.

You could also ask the question why do we have scarce engineering
resources? One factor is that OE is not user friendly and putting up
more barriers (ie stricter requirements on the host OS) isn't going to
help with that. Effort spent to increase the chances that OE "just
works" by automatically providing more of its dependencies and relying
less on the host may be a good investment in terms of alienating less
users, who may then persevere long enough to eventually become
contributors.